How to Care for Your Skin After Fraxel Treatment
You have taken the first step toward more healthy and radiant looking skin by having a Fraxel® laser treatment. Now it is important to help your skin heal quickly and protect your skin investment.
• Skin Care Products. All of your skin care products should be non-irritating and non-clogging for the first week or so after a Fraxel treatment. Examples of brands that offer very gentle and inexpensive products that are ideal to use: Aveeno®, Dove®, Neutrogena®, and Cetaphil®.
• Scrubs, Toners, Glycolic Acid, and Retin A. Your skin will be sensitive for the first week or so after treatment. Do not use products that will cause irritation during this time. Do not use abrasive scrubs, toners, or products that contain glycolic acids or Retin A. Read the product labels.
• Normal Skin Care Regimen. Once the sloughing is complete, you may resume your routine skin care and make-up products, as long as they are tolerable to you.
• Sunscreen. It is very important that you use sunscreen to prevent sun damage to the skin. Sunscreen should offer broadband protection (UVA and UVB) and have a sun protection factor (SPF) 30. Once sloughing is complete, use sunscreen daily for at least 3 months after your last treatment. Apply sunscreen 20 minutes before going outside, and again, immediately before. Reapply sunscreen every 2 hours. If direct sun exposure is necessary, wear a hat and clothing that covers the treated area. Your practice of diligent sunscreen use may lower the risk of laser-induced hyperpigmentation (darker colour).
• Moisturizer. Remember that peeling and/or flaking is normal during the healing process. Therefore, the moisturizer you use should be non-irritating and non-clogging, or else you could develop breakouts. During the healing period, your normal moisturizer may be too occlusive, so consider products from the brands listed above. Instead of using 2 separate products, use moisturizers that contain SPF30+. Reapply whenever your skin feels dry.
• Bleaching Creams. Discontinue use of your bleaching cream while your skin is tender. Restart your bleaching cream on: ________________________________________________________
• Resume your normal skin care regimen when your skin has fully healed.
• Cold Sores. If you have a history of cold sores, follow the preventative regime that has been prescribed for you. Contact the office immediately if active cold sores develop.
• Abnormal Healing. If you notice any blisters, cuts, bruises, crusting/scabs, areas of raw skin, ulcerations, active bleeding, increased discomfort or pain, pigment changes (lighter or darker than usual complexion), or any other problems, please contact us as soon as possible on 95526277. We are available 24/7 to help you with any concerns.